Session 6 was an important one. Figured out how to have the app size between a 3.5″ display, opposed to a 4″ display. This is very curtail as if I had continued coding as if it was a 4″ display it would create a lot of re-sizing and coding in the future. By doing this I had to learn how to use the autosizing feature within Xcode5.
Today, and much of last night I worked on actually making the back end coding for what would become just the log in script. In order to do this I was required to have the following done:
- Website domain
- Web hosting
- myphpadmin set up
- the php coding
- and the coding itself within Xcode
The code works, after about 10 minutes of debugging I got it to work, the app calls up information stored on my web space, through php, which then connects to my, myphpadmin database.
This post will consist of the steps we need to take to complete our app. We believe this is the best order possible to have everything fall together and work seamlessly.
- Planning : Planning is the most important step for making anything, we have planned just about everything, from our app name, company name, colour schemes, as well as the layout for our app. Even this list is part of our planning for our app.
- Graphics : We believe that if we have all of our graphics already made, we will be able to access them as they are needed in further steps of the app, and not have to make them as we need.
- Server Access : Access to a server to store all the information is crucial. Our app revolves around the whole idea to be able to log in to your own account, so with out this access the whole app could not function.
- LogIn/SignUp Screen : The first thing that comes up on the app for the first time would be the log in and sign up screen, therefor this must be done and functioning. As well we would need to make an account on our own app to be able to do test on the app.
- Learning the Coding : Everything after the log in screen will pretty much be user based, the app is customized to YOU. There for coding is important because it will build the app basically.
As stated earlier in the blog I will be working with another person on this project. If you would like to see the project from his point of view from his own blog, you can check his out by clicking the following link.
Today, we finalized the name for our app, but its a secret
As well, we have worked on finalizing our app icon, but still needs a little bit of tweaking.
We have also finalized our “Company Name” which will be Sharp Point Industries. We chose this name for no real reasoning, since our app revolves around a school theme our icon will be a pencil, with a sharp point. Thus Sharp Point Industries.
As well as doing all of this work, we have created our Xcode project…..
Let the coding begin….
Today, we started working on the design of the graphics that will be displayed within the app. Such as the class icons, navigational icons etc. As well, looking around for resources to help us with the coding that will be necessary for this project. As well, came up with the idea to start thinking of what the app shall be called, and company name etc. Although some of these processes are happening we are still constantly changing ideas, and refining them.
Today, we started our with our proposal. Then we continued to work on our design layout, and finalizing ideas as to how it will look and work in the end. We’ve thought about what coding language we will need to do this stuff. As well, we discussed what platform kids will be using more so within the actual school, for example our school has school iPads, so it would be smarter for us to design within an iPad
This project started as our idea for our genius hour. Genius hour is a newer concept that my information technology class is part-taking in every friday, for an hour. Now, although it is for our genius hour we will be working on it outside of genius hour. After each day working on the project whether for genius hour or on our own time I will blog about what we did on that day, as a “session”